About the Role
Wizcorp is looking for Software Engineers for a selection of diverse fields. Depending on your background, skills, and experience we’ll find the most suitable role within our teams for you. We value human skills and character as much as we do experience and proficiency.
Is this job for me? 👨🦰👩🦳🧑🦲
You have a few years of work experience developing software professionally. C++ is a core programming language in your tool box, even though you might be using one or two other languages for your daily tasks. You’re not afraid to deep-dive into the engine and code bases to make some improvements.
Sounds like you? Then this job is for you!
About Wizcorp 🦄🇯🇵🎮
Wizcorp is a highly specialized game development studio based in Tokyo and operating 100% remotely. We are a cross-cultural team of passionate individuals working together toward one goal: bringing back magic to game development.
- We get better every day. Our technical abilities should never limit our ideas.
- We question the status quo. We don't accept yesterday's answers to tomorrow's challenges.
- We follow our moral compass. Our values guide our decisions.
- We surround ourselves with people who believe in our mission. Our staff, clients, and partners are all part of the equation.
- We learn and share. We want our successes and failures to contribute to the collective wisdom of our profession.
Wizcorp offers a friendly and honest working environment. Our work is challenging but rewarding, with countless personal and professional growth opportunities.
Typical day 🎮📆🕹️
You might start with an hour of looking over some code with a senior engineer. You then might have the opportunity to look at optimizing a piece of AI logic, discussing as necessary with a specialist in the area. In the afternoon you may spend some time working with game designers and artists to complete feature integration.
The ideal candidate will be able to
- Design, test, and debug own code without assistance from other engineers
- Break down features into engineering tasks and work with other engineers to complete them
- Have an interest in working on both games and their surrounding tooling
- Confidently communicate with all members of the company
Roles and Responsibilities 🛠️🧪✨
- Complete assigned engineering tasks in a timely manner
- Test and document provided solutions to allow other developers to review and learn
- Write clear, maintainable code that passes review by senior engineers
- Estimate own tasks and deliver them in a timely manner
- Raise all blockers when they arise to the feature lead or project lead
- Follow software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, and testing
- Take ownership of medium-sized features by breaking them into manageable tasks that can be accomplished by themselves and/or others
- Coordinate with members outside of the engineering team to deliver features in a timely manner
Application process 🈸⚙️😊
① Online selection
We review resumes from all applicants within 2 weeks. If your profile matches our requirements, we will send you tests and challenges. Based on the results, we will contact you again to schedule the first interview.
We conduct three interviews to assess your character, passions, skills, and interest in what we do. We also take the time to share our vision and values, as we believe you are interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you.
We make our final decision within 2 weeks after the final interview, and send a detailed offer upon success.
Onboarding process 🈴🗼🌅
We strive to make the onboarding process as smooth and worry-free as possible.
Upon acceptance of our offer, you will receive our working agreement and our rules of employment.
Ideally, we want you to join us within a month, but we can adjust to your current work situation.
On your first day, your manager will introduce you to your team and will set a schedule for reviews over the 6 month probation period. We will give you all the support you need to complete it successfully.
At Wizcorp, we grow together.
Senior staff will support you and provide mentorship. You will also have access to digital learning material, and your manager will help you define a training curriculum based on your career aspirations.
You can learn more about our career philosophy here: https://www.wizcorp.jp/career
🤹 Skillset 🤹
- Strong software development fundamentals, design theory, and development processes
- Excellent debugging skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Willingness to work as part of a team and contribute to technical discussions
- Eager to learn from reviews and constructive feedback
- Strong personal time management
⭐ Experience ⭐
- University degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline; or relevant professional experience
- 3+ years professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrable Software Engineering ability
- Experience with Git or other version control system
- Experience with multiple programming languages
- TOEIC 788 or equivalent
👍 Preferred 👍
- Must have experience with C++ backed up with C# or Go
- Experience with game engines such as Unity, Unreal, or proprietary engine code
- Understanding of 2D and 3D math
- At least one year of experience in the video game industry
- Conversational Japanese proficiency or above
📍 Business hours and Location 📍
⏲ Flexibility in time
We all have different creative clocks, and you know yours better than we do.
We will expect you to work 8 hours per day from Monday to Friday with core hours between 11:00 and 16:00 (excluding a 1-hour break). The rest will be up to you.
🌎 Flexibility in location
Wizcorp fully embraces telework, and most of us work from home. Office space is also available for your convenience, and you will have access to meeting rooms and hot desks.
We may require you to work onsite in specific occasions when using highly specialized equipment.
You must reside in Japan during your employment at Wizcorp. We offer legal support for visa applications. Depending on your situation, we may allow you to work outside of Japan during your probation period.
👷 Employment Type 👷♀️
💴 Salary 💴
The following tiers are currently in application for this position:
- SE1: 350~400K/month (equivalent to 2-3 years of experience)
- SE2: 400~500K/month (equivalent to 4-5 years of experience)
- SE3: 500~550K/month (equivalent to 6-7 years of experience)
All new staff members’ initial salary will be based on experience and interview evaluation.
Includes a 6 months probation period. Salary is not affected nor changed during that period.
💹 Raises and bonuses 💹
- You will be reviewed once a year and your salary will be adjusted to match with gained experience and project contributions.
- Pay raises are awarded around March each year, in line with our budget and financial forecasting for the subsequent year.
- We do not offer bonuses.
🈷️ Additional benefits 🈷️
- Monthly allowance for home office equipment and supplies (15,000 JPY/month)
- Private language tutoring (Japanese and/or English)
- Commute fees (however, train passes are not reimbursed)
♨️ Holidays and vacations ♨️
- Weekends and national holidays
- Summer/winter vacation: 5 days per year (paid, applicable after the probation period)
- Annual Paid Leave: 10 days per year (first year, following the probation period)
- Bereavement/funeral leave
- Sick leave: 5 days per year (paid, applicable after the probation period)
🤝 Welfare 🤝
- Social insurance
- Parental leave (learn more here)
Keywords Studios is dedicated to following a well-established Equal Opportunities Policy. We endeavor to create a workplace which provides for equal opportunities for all employees and potential employees.
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY
Keywords Studios is strongly committed to protecting your personal information. By sending your CV/Resume, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and consent to your data being managed and retained in accordance with our data privacy and retention policy https://www.keywordsstudios.com/en/applicant-privacy-notice/.
Role Information: EN
Location: Asia Pacific, Japan, Tokyo
Area of Work: Game Development
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
Working Pattern: Remote
We will review resumes from all applicants, and send tests and challenges to a number of them. Based on the results, we will contact you again to schedule the first interview.
A series of three interviews will be conducted that assess your character, passions, skills, and interest in the work we have to offer. We also take the time to share our vision and goals with candidates, as we believe you are interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you.
Following interviews, we will contact you shortly with a final decision. Those selected will receive an offer describing the specific details of what they are being offered.